Proper appliance disposal is critical to our environmental health and safety. The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) provides information and guidance on understanding appliance disposal. In addition, companies like Exquisite Property Services offer a solution as a Responsible Appliance Disposal (RAD) partner.
What is Responsible Appliance Disposal (RAD)?
RAD partner programs help protect the ozone layer and reduce emissions of greenhouse gases by disposing of older, inefficient refrigerated appliances using the best environmental practices and technologies available. Specifically, partners send appliances to recycling facilities capable of properly handling the environmentally harmful substances contained in the units, including foam insulation, resulting in significant environmental benefits. Click on a state in the map or use the table filters below to identify partner programs in your area. (EPA.gov)
Many consumers think that appliances can be thrown away as regular trash. Old appliances have toxic and non-toxic components that must be disposed of properly:
- Used Oil
Why should I care about responsible appliance disposal?
Unfortunately, as Americans, we tend to be a disposable society with little understanding of the consequences. The EPA shares this information description:
That old fridge or freezer is taking up space in your garage or basement. Replacing it could save you up to $50 a year in energy costs. Plus, there are significant benefits for the environment and your community if you get rid of that old appliance—the RAD way. Specifically, the proper disposal of an old fridge or freezer will:
- Reduce your household energy consumption, which will save you money and prevent greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions
- Avoid the release of ozone-depleting substances (ODS) and GHGs, which contribute to ozone depletion and climate change
- Save landfill space and energy by recycling—rather than landfilling—the metals, plastics, and glass contained in your appliance
- Avoid the release of used oil, which can cause damage to the liver, brain, immune system, and reproductive system
- Avoid the release of mercury, which can lead to impairment of neurological development and other problems associated with the human nervous system
- Avoid the release of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), which can have carcinogenic and non-cancerous health effects
How can I recycle my appliance the RAD way?
As a RAD Partner, Exquisite Property Services will pick up and properly dispose of your old refrigerated appliances (such as a fridge, freezer, window air-conditioning unit, and dehumidifier) directly from your home. These appliances will then be sent to a recycling facility capable of properly handling the environmentally harmful substances contained in the units, using the best environmental practices and technologies available.
We do more than protect your real estate assets. We protect communities.
We provide a full line of services to protect, preserve and maintain properties for sale or conveyance. Quality maintenance of real estate assets requires a localized response. Our customized preservation program ensures that your property is being tended by experts who:
- Know and respect the community where the property is located
- Familiar with local code enforcement regulations and officials
- Able to identify and minimize environmental risks such as proper appliance disposal
Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us if you have questions about proper appliance recycling.